Medical and travel insurance for international students

All international students are required by the NZ Ministry of Education to be covered by appropriate and current medical and travel insurance. The insurance must cover you for the duration of your planned period of study in New Zealand. You may choose to be covered by the University's Studentsafe policy or an approved alternative policy.

To ensure you are satisfactorily covered for your study in New Zealand, Massey University has set some minimum insurance cover requirements. All polices must meet these requirements to be approved.

Studentsafe insurance policy

If you have been affected by COVID-19 coronavirus and wish to discuss a claim or understand how this applies to your situation, please contact Studentsafe directly. For more information please visit the COVID-19 coronavirus FAQs page.

Massey University has selected the Studentsafe policy as the university's insurance policy for international students. Studentsafe is a comprehensive policy that meets the university's minimum insurance requirements. The insurer is Allianz. 

Find out more:

Applying for the Studentsafe insurance policy

There are no application forms to complete for this policy. Cover is automatically included in your Offer of Place and will be re-charged for subsequent periods when you re-enrol. You can purchase the Studentsafe policy when you pay your fees. Information about the policy can be found through the links above and it is one of the topics covered during our International Student Orientation.

Pre-existing conditions

If you have a disability or a pre-existing medical condition, you must declare this on your application for Admission to the University. This is so we can assess whether the university has suitable facilities and services to assist you, and so we can advise you whether relevant medical services and medications are available in New Zealand. Medical reports are also required as part of your visa application to Immigration New Zealand and some medical conditions may mean you are ineligible for a student visa.

In addition you will also need to obtain insurance cover for any pre-existing conditions that you have. You can apply to Allianz to have your condition assessed for cover under the StudentSafe policy, but if your application is declined, you will need to have your own insurance provider cover your condition.  

Family cover

If your partner/spouse and/or dependent children are joining you in New Zealand, they can also be covered under your StudentSafe policy. Family insurance is not compulsory, but it is highly recommended. Children who will be attending school in New Zealand will be required to have insurance; Studentsafe is a suitable policy for most schools.

To apply for family cover you must advise the International Student Support staff on your campus of your family members' names and details, and the dates that they will be joining you. You will also need to complete the family application form and pay the premium.

Premium for the Studentsafe insurance policy

The cost of the Studentsafe policy is reviewed annually.

Single student:

  • Full academic year NZ$697
  • One semester NZ$348.50
  • Short courses less than one-month NZ$116.17 minimum charge

Couple (couple or student plus one family member) full academic year: NZ$1,394.00

Family (student plus more than one family member) full academic year: NZ$1,742.50

All premiums include compulsory Earthquake Commission and Fire Service levies.

Alternative insurance policies

You are able to purchase an alternative insurance policy as long as it meets our minimum insurance criteria. This must be verified by a Massey staff member. Students who have alternative cover can upload their policy at the time of enrolment through the Student Portal. Once uploaded a Massey staff member will check the policy to ensure it meets the minimum New Zealand Government requirements. Students will be contacted should there be any problems. Alternative policies will not be accepted if the policy is presented after the semester start date. 

The following insurance policies have been assessed and are compliant for International Students studying in New Zealand:

  • Uni-Care Ltd:  NZ Student Plan and NZ Visitor Plan
  • Southern Cross:  International Student Travel Insurance
  • Orbit Protect:  Prime Plan
  • SITE:  First-Class Foreign Travel Insurance Plan (Germany)
  • Swedish State:  Student UT Plan (Sweden)

If your policy is not on the list above then you are required to purchase the Massey Studentsafe policy or an alternative compliant policy. If the option is available, students may be able to purchase top-up cover so the combination of two policies meets the required minimum standard. You must then apply for an exemption through the process outlined above.

If your policy is not on the list above you may also request for your policy to be assessed for approval. Please check that your policy meets the minimum cover requirements outlined in the insurance checklist document before you submit it for approval. Submit the following documents when requesting that your policy be approved:

  • A list of the policy benefits (full English translation)
  • A copy of your insurance certificate (full English translation)

Publicly funded health services

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are detailed on the New Zealand Ministry of Health website.

The Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website.