Under 18 year old international students
If you will be under 18 years old when you start your study at Massey University then there are some additional rules that apply until you turn 18 years of age. It is important that under 18 year old international students and their parents or legal guardians read the following information.
- Parental/legal guardian signatures required on all agreements
- Contact details for parents/legal guardian
- Accommodation options for under 18 year olds
- Arrival Orientation for parents/legal guardians
- Regular meetings with support staff
- Regular reports to parents/legal guardians
- Student hand-over at end of programme of study
Parental/legal guardian signatures required on all agreements
Parents/legal guardians of under 18 year old students are required to sign all agreements in relation to the under 18 year old student with Massey University. These include:
- Under 18 International Application Form
- Offer of Place
- Withdrawal Form
- Homestay Agreements
- Indemnity Agreement for Designated Caregivers
In addition, parents/legal guardians must provide Massey University with written agreements in relation to any decisions affecting the under 18 year old student.
Contact details for parents/legal guardian
Massey University is required to have up-to-date contact details for the parents/legal guardians and next of kin of under 18 year olds.
Accommodation options for under 18 year olds
All international students under the age of 18 years must live in Massey-approved homestay, Massey approved designated caregiver accommodation or with their parents.
Homestay accommodation is when a student lives with a local family in the family’s home. Homestay is very popular for international students as this environment gives them the opportunity to practice English and learn about New Zealand culture and lifestyle in a safe and supportive environment. All Massey approved homestay hosts have undergone a homestay selection process and are police vetted.
Students wishing to live in a homestay must apply for homestay accommodation and pay a $245 homestay administration fee (non-refundable) which covers the initial homestay placement and a homestay board advancement fee which is two weeks homestay board (dependent upon campus) (non-refundable). The homestay board advancement fee is paid directly to the homestay host for two weeks board upon the student’s arrival in the homestay. Both these fees must be paid before any homestay arrangements are made. Under 18 year old international students must pay a $210 under 18 homestay administration fee which is non-refundable.
A Massey Representative will meet with the homestay hosts of under 18 year old students on an on-going basis.
Designated Caregiver Accommodation
Designated caregivers are family or close friends chosen by the parents/legal guardians of the under 18 year old student to be the accommodation provider for the student. As part of the approval process the following process is carried out prior to the student being given an Offer of Place:
- The parents/legal guardians complete an indemnity agreement for the under 18 year old student living with a designated caregiver
- A Massey University representative will visit the home of the designated caregiver to determine that the living conditions are of an acceptable standard.
- An assessment will be made to see if the designated caregiver will provide a safe physical and emotional environment for the student.
- Massey University will carry out Police Vetting of all adults over the age of 18 years living in the household.
- If the designated caregiver is approved Massey University will maintain regular communication with the designated caregiver.
- If the designated caregiver is not approved then the student will be required to be placed in Massey University approved homestay accommodation until they turn 18 years.
- Under 18 year old international students requesting designated caregiver accommodation must pay a non-refundable $245 designated caregiver administration fee and the $210 under 18 homestay administration fee which is non-refundable.
Living with Parents
The parents/legal guardians of under 18 year old international students must advise Massey University if they no longer reside in the same accommodation as the under 18 year old student so that alternative living arrangements can be made.
Arrival Orientation for parents/legal guardians
Parents/legal guardians who accompany an under 18 year old international student may have access to a parent orientation and be provided with the same information given to students.
Regular meetings with support staff
All under 18 year old international students will meet with Massey University support staff on a regular basis to ensure the student is safe and progressing academically. Reports of these meetings will be sent to the parents/legal guardians.
Regular reports to parents/legal guardians
Massey University will maintain regular contact with the parents/legal guardians of under 18 year old international students regarding student welfare and academic progress.
Student handover at end of programme of study
If an international student is under 18 years at the end of their programme of study, their parents/legal guardians are required to provide Massey University with written confirmation giving details of the handover the care of the student whilst remaining in New Zealand.
Page authorised by Web Content Manager
Last updated on Thursday 25 May 2017