Auckland at COVID-19 Alert Level 2. More information.

Making a report

The University respects the rights of all survivors/victims of sexually harmful behaviours to be in control of decisions affecting them, wherever practicable. This is especially regarding their right to decide whether to seek counselling, and/or medical services, or Police or another external agency intervention. It's your right to decide how you wish to disclose or report your experience, if at all. 

The Harassment Resolution Team on each campus can provide confidential advice and information about your reporting options and procedures.

Informal reporting

Informal reporting allows you to disclose sexually harmful behaviours and seek support, without making a formal report or initiating a formal investigation process.

You can contact the Student Care team on your campus if you have experienced sexually harmful behaviours and would like to discuss your options. Seeking guidance and assistance from the Student Care team through the informal reporting process does not disqualify you from making a formal report if you eventually choose to do so.

The information provided through an informal disclosure will be retained by the Student Care team and will be treated confidentially. Further action will not be taken unless there is an imminent risk to you or someone else in the University community.

Formal report (official complaint) 

You can make a formal complaint about behaviour you consider sexually harmful where the person who is the subject of the complaint is a student or staff member.

A formal complaint should be in writing to the Student Care team and should specify in detail:

  • the particular incident or incidents you wish to complain about including the person your complaint is about
  • when the incident(s) occurred
  • the particular behaviour that you consider amounts to sexual assault or sexual harassment
  • whether there was a direct witness to the incident(s), who they are, and whether they have agreed to be contacted to provide further information about the matter(s), if required
  • who else (if anyone) you have spoken to about the incident
  • whether you have, or are intending to make a complaint to the Police, or to any other external agency
  • what action you would like the University to take to resolve the situation from your perspective.

Formal report process

The complaint will be referred to the appropriate area of the University, in consultation with you. Further consideration, investigation (if appropriate) and action on your complaint may then be taken. For example, if the complaint is about behaviour by a staff member, then it may be referred to Human Resources.

If a complaint is made to the Police (or another external agency) and also to the University, we will liaise with the Police (or external agency) to make sure that any process followed by the University does not interfere with any external investigation or process that may be underway. On some occasions, if a Police investigation and/or criminal process occurs, this may require the University to place its own process on hold until the conclusion of those external matters.

It is important that you're aware that, in order for a complaint to be dealt with by the University under a formal process, the contents of your complaint will need to be provided to the person who your complaint is about, in line with natural justice requirements.

During the process you will be provided wellbeing and academic support as needed.

If you would like to access assistance with putting together and submitting a formal complaint you can contact the Harassment Resolution Team.

Our response to a formal report

When misconduct or serious misconduct is found to have occurred under a formal process, the University may impose penalties and take measures that are proportionate to the level of wrongdoing that is found to have occurred. These seek to:

  • censure behaviours that are found not to be consistent with the University’s core ethical values and applicable conduct Polices/statutes
  • address harms identified, and
  • promote accountability and repair harm.

Further details about the sorts of penalties and other measures that can be imposed in relation to students can be found in the Student Code of Conduct and the Disciplinary Regulations. In relation to staff members, details on those penalties are contained in staff members’ employment agreements.

All penalties imposed are monitored for compliance and should further, similar behavioural issues be identified, this may result in further appropriate action being taken.

A person who had made a formal complaint is entitled to know whether or not their complaint has been upheld.

Making a report on behalf of someone

If someone discloses to you that they have experienced sexually harmful behaviours, your role is to support them to get information and make informed choices. You should follow the procedures outlined above, or contact the Harassment Resolution Team or the Student Care team for guidance and advice.

Making a police report

Reporting to the University and reporting to the Police are two separate processes. If you report to the Police you can still report to the University.

You can report sexually harmful behaviours—including stalking, sexual assault or sexual harassment, and family violence to the Police.

You can also contact the Police for information and advice about what your options are and how to get help. You don’t necessarily need to proceed with making a formal complaint—this is your decision. The Police can provide you information to help you make decisions and understand your options.

If you would like to access the support of an independent specialist to assist you through the Police reporting process, please contact one of the Student Association Advocates or an external agency.

If you would like to access support from the University to assist you in contacting Police you can contact the Student Care team

Contact us Mon - Fri 8:30am to 4:30pm 0800 MASSEY (+64 6 350 5701) TXT 5222 Web chat Staff Alumni News Māori @ Massey